Tuesday, October 1, 2013

I ran 5 miles last night!!! 5 MILES Y'ALL.................

It wasn't pretty and it wasn't fast, but I made it. I decided to reduce my running time to 10 minutes before taking a walking break for 3 minutes. This made the run way more manageable (and enjoyable). I'm glad I can do that and still feel accomplished. There is still a small piece of me that thinks it doesn't count if I walk, or that I have to run for 30 minutes straight to even qualify myself as a runner. I know that's ridiculous...............but that's how I feel sometimes. Someday I will be able to run a 5k without walking, but today aint that day! I just have to stick to it and gradually increase my running time.

I know you're just dying to know the stats for my 5 mile run; total time of 1 hour 16 minutes 42 seconds, pace of 15'20", total running time = 60 minutes, total walking time = 16 minutes and 42 seconds. Nothing record breaking here, but not too shabby considering that 3 months ago I was on the couch and never would have dreamt about running 5 miles. The best thing about it is that I'm only in competition with myself, so my pace doesn't really matter, as long as I finish!

I shall leave you now with my thoughts and reflections from this run:

Mile 0.5: My back actually feels pretty good, this might not be so bad......

Mile 1.0: For the love of all things holy my shins and calves are killing me!

Nike+ app says 3.5 miles to go
Mile 1.5: What?!?!?! 3.5 miles? This is so not doable for me. What was I thinking?

Mile 2.0: In another 2 miles, I will only have 1 mile left.....pssshhhhh, that's nothing!

Mile 3.0: I can't feel my legs anymore and my feet are numb. Is that a good thing?

Mile 4.0: Holy crap I'm actually going to make it!

Mile 4.5: Is that guy shadow boxing up there? Oh my, now he's sprinting! And stopping to shadow box again......interesting

Mile 5.0: I did it!!! Where in sam hill is my water?!?!?!?!


MIND OVER MATTER

1 comment: