Monday, October 28, 2013

Compression sleeves, Gu, and great company

So yesterday was my long run. I was nervous about this run all week and psyched myself out as usual, but it went very well.

After my 7 miler last week, I was really not looking forward to logging 8 miles and then being in pain for several days. There were three very large differences for this run though. The first being that I had purchased compression sleeves for my calves and was trying them out for the first time. I was a little skeptical, but these things are wicked awesome! I hardly felt any pain in my shins and calves and my knee held up quite nicely. I am still very sore, and sitting on a plane for 3+ hours today didn't help, but I'm much better off than after last weeks long run.

The second difference was that I was trying out carb gel (Gu) for the first time instead of choking down sport beans like I usually do. I was a little worried that my tummy wouldn't handle the gel, but all was well (nine nine busta rhyme)! The texture was a little strange the first time, but once you get used to it, it's not so bad. I have no idea if the gels helped (I took one at mile 2 and again at mile 6), but I felt energetic until the last 1/2 mile or so.

The third, and probably the most important, difference was that I had company for this run. The kiddos were with my mother-in-law Saturday night so the hubby joined me Sunday morning for my 8 mile run. In one regard this was very irritating. I mean, seriously, I have been "training" since July 7th to run longer distances and still feel like I'm going to die towards the end every weekend. This man hasn't run in years and just plodded along beside me carrying on a conversation and pushing me when I needed it. It's frustrating, but it was much appreciated. I'm not saying he didn't feel it, he was very sore yesterday evening, but during the run he never even batted an eyelash. I sure do love that man.

I can see you hanging on the edge of your seat so I'll get down to the stats for this run.
8 miles; 1:56:08; 14'31" average

If you remember correctly, and I know you do, I averaged 15'22" on my 7 miler last week. I know I'm not supposed to pay attention to pace on my long runs, but it feels good to know that I was running much stronger this go round and the distance was 1 mile longer.

I started off this run with a 3:1 interval. After 2 miles I told the hubby that I was sick of hearing the interval timer beep in my ear and I was just going to turn it off. He told me that I would probably run longer that way, but I wasn't so sure. I'll be damned if he wasn't right! By the end of the run I had run four 1/2 mile distances without stopping to walk, and my walking intervals were much shorter as well. This no doubt helped my average a great deal.

At one point during the run a man pulled up beside us and asked how we did at the Tulsa Run this weekend. We didn't participate in the Tulsa Run, but I loved that he asked because it at least meant that I looked like a runner instead of some fat girl hobbling down the trail. We chatted with him while we ran back to the car for a water break, and at one point I looked down to see that we were doing a 10'34" mile. Whoa nelly! Way too fast for me, okay? Maybe I need to run in groups more often?

While this LR was wildly successful and gave me the confidence I needed, I'm hurting for sure tonight. I'm due for 4 miles tomorrow and will be running in 40 degree weather here in Boston. I'm hoping that I wake up with less soreness tomorrow. I'm also hoping that I can find somewhere to run outside around the hotel so I don't have to spend an hour on a treadmill (YIKES).

For the first time, I'm beginning to think I might actually be able to do this. Only 26 more days!

MIND OVER MATTER

1 comment: