Wednesday, October 16, 2013

LR and the mind game

Today is my long run (LR) day. Why I scheduled this on a weeknight I do not know. It just happened. I am moving towards doing my LR on Sundays so I'm going to skip one of my 4 milers this week. Today's required mileage is 6 miles. HA! I'm such a funny girl.....

I am feeling quite 'BLAH' today, and it's not even time for breakfast yet. Woke up with a headache and my give a damn is seriously busted. I'm going to need an attitude adjustment to get through the rest of this day and the 6 mile run. All I gotta do is get my gear on and lace those shoes up; after that, it all falls into place. Getting to that point is the hard part. I'm already telling myself how hard it's going to be to run 6 miles. My inner voice is saying "this is gonna suck", "your knee is going to hurt", "you'll be sore for days", "why in Sam Hill do you do this to yourself", "you're not even losing weight, you're just making yourself miserable"! Yeah, my inner voice isn't very nice sometimes.

I'm getting very irritated at the fact that I'm always tired. I'm also extremely done with food in general right now. I get so sick of planning and shopping and cooking (or the lack thereof). I need a live-in chef that will do all of this for me AND tell me what to eat. Since that's not going to happen anytime soon, I will just have to settle for trying to eat my fruits and vegetables, or effing v's (F&Vs) as my Mom used to call them, and getting in plenty of good carbs. And apparently surviving on 1,500 calories a day and training for a half marathon is not a good idea (OOPS). Who knew? I'm trying to lose weight here, why would I want to pack on the carbs and calories!!! This is probably why the scale isn't budging and why I'm so tired all the time. It's so frustrating when you sabotage yourself without even knowing it.

I am going to turn this thing around today and start to use positive self talk leading up to my long run this evening (yes, I just said 'positive self talk'; no, I have not been watching Dr. Phil - thought it up all by myself):

"I can do this!"
"6 miles is nothing!"
"Who cares if I'm not losing weight, it'll happen when it happens!"
"Who cares if there's constantly dishes in the sink and laundry to be put away!"
"Who cares if the kids whine all the time and do crazy things because they're attention starved!" (Okay, I actually do care about this one, but taking 3 days each week for myself is not that big of a deal, especially when it's to go workout)
"Who cares if you're running slow, you're RUNNING!"

To keep the positivity going, I shall leave you with this quote that was passed on to me by a friend. It made me smile and I think it's VERY true!

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't mattter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run" - John Bingham

MIND OVER MATTER

No comments:

Post a Comment