Thursday, September 4, 2014

S is for SNAKE

You know what makes you run really fast?

--Good running shoes?  NO
--Proper cross-training?  NO
--Proper nutrition and hydration?  NO

SNAKES?!?!  YES!!!

I guarantee you it doesn't matter if you're 2.8 miles into a 3 mile run and you're dog tired and don't think you can take another step; the minute a snake slithers across the sidewalk two feet in front if you, you become an Olympic sprinter instantly. If you're me, you even scream at the snake as loud as humanly possible and jump into the road. Apparently oncoming traffic doesn't look so bad when compared to a humassive ginormous snake (it really wasn't that big, but still)!

Too bad I didn't see that damn thing earlier, because I was sllloooooooowww tonight and could've used that extra push of adrenaline around mile 1. There are always positives though! Even though my average for the 3.1 miles was slower than I've been lately, at least I completed the mileage I set out to complete (that's just something ugly people say). 

Seriously though, it's hard to stomach a 13'50" average after running so well in my last 5k. I realize that training run average pace and race average pace are different, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating.

In closing, if you can swing it, I highly recommend having a friend volunteer to randomly throw snakes in your path the next time you're struggling with a run. It worked for me and I'm sure it will work for you!

MIND OVER MATTER




No comments:

Post a Comment