Sunday, September 14, 2014

I. AM. GRUMPY. CAT!

Five mile long run is in the books!

5.00 miles / 1:04:06 / 12'48" per mile average

One thing I love about the Nike running app is that it keeps track of random stats that show my progress when I really need to see it. Such as the fact that during the month of August I averaged 14'06" per mile for a total of 21.2 miles and so far in the month of September I have averaged 13'06" per mile for a total of 21.1 miles (and counting). Progress? OH I THINK SO!!!

Was today my most comfortable run ever? Hell no! But I did it................it doesn't always have to be rainbows and glitter.

I ran with Sandy again (always a pleasure), so the miles passed by fairly quickly. Except for those first two. I hate those first two miles. If I could just skip that part altogether I would be a happy girl, but I can't, so I'm pretty grumpy at the beginning of these runs. When I know I only have 3 miles total, I'm good. But on long runs, especially those that start at 7:30 am, I am grumpy cat until I reach that 2 mile mark.



We're plodding along this morning and about 1/2 a mile in we pass some guy out for a morning stroll and Sandy says "good morning" all perky and happy! I'm huffing and puffing and thinking 'really perky britches? - what is so good about THIS?'............I'm grumbling to her about my calves hurting and my breathing being heavy and the color of the sky and she's like "we've got this". I know she's right, I'm just not a morning person, and I secretly hate running; not really sure why I do it to be honest, except that I love how I feel when I'm done (honestly that's the BEST part of this whole thing).

We ran some pretty decent hills today and I was feeling it. I hate hate hate hills, but they are a necessary evil, so I can't avoid them forever. Instead of just running Riverside we changed it up a bit and ran up 41st to Peoria and ran through Brookside to Philbrook and then through some neighborhoods back to Riverside to finish up. At one point we're taking our half out of the middle of some neighborhood road and I say "do you know where we are?". Sandy calmy says "nope". I'm thinking to myself 'I am running 5 miles today and not a foot more, so we better figure it out!' - grumpy cat, again.

By mile 3 I am astounded at the fact that 3 miles have passed and I didn't even realize it. We're back on the trail on Riverside at this point and there are lots of people around. This guy is approaching us and I say in the most perky voice I can muster "Good Morning!". Sandy looks at me like I've lost my mind and I think 'what the hell is happening to me?'.........bring back grumpy cat! I guess some of her goodness is rubbing off on me. I'm a glass half empty absolute realist, like it or not. If you are annoying me, I will tell you. I think people should know when they're doing something wrong, otherwise how will they know that they need to fix it.......it's a public service really.

We had to run past our cars at 41st and Riverside to complete our 5 miles, which is a total mental bummer. We had less than a half mile to go, but there's just something about running by your car knowing you can't just jump in and take off and be DONE that really sucks. We had to run by the frisbee golf area and just as we were about to turn around, I got whacked on the shoulder by a disc. Never saw it coming and it hurt! Apparently 'fore' is not something that frisbee golfers have in their vocab bank. And the jerks didn't even apologize. I know he didn't hit me on purpose; clearly if he had the skillset to do so he would've placed the frisbee where it belonged............in the damn hole and not on my person! I'm just glad it didn't hit me in the face. It left a pretty good burn mark on my shoulder so I can only imagine what it would have done to my forehead. That would be a fun one to explain all week at the office!

In closing, I am grumpy, running sucks until you finish (then it's amaze-balls), and frisbee golfers with no manners can suck it!

MIND OVER MATTER






No comments:

Post a Comment