Sunday, September 7, 2014

Radar, blue skies, and bathrooms

This weekend was the first "long run" of my training program. Anything over a 5k distance I consider to be a long run, anything less is just a run. I was scheduled for 4 miles yesterday. I was planning to go run with a group that a friend invited me to join (thank you for the invite Annie). I was pretty pumped about this until I found out that this group meets at 6:00 in the morning. This cranky fat girl does NOT like 6:00 in the morning, but I resigned myself to the fact that sometimes you have to do hard things in life and just suck it up! So I set my alarm for 4:45 and went to bed way too late as usual. When the alarm went off I heard rain outside, looked at the radar, and saw THIS:




Ummm, no thank you! The beauty of having your long run scheduled for Saturday morning is you can always run on Sunday instead if the weather isn't to your liking or your schedule gets in the way.

I was joined this morning on Riverside by a friend (thank you Sandy) and the miles went by quickly. We hadn't quite made it to mile 3 and I was in bad shape. Let's just say nature was calling and I was hurting! There's a first time for everything I suppose. There was a bathroom on the trail, which I was thankful for, until I actually walked in. No freakin' doors on the stalls. Mmmmmmkay, guess I'm going to shut the main door, go to the back stall and hope for the best. Worst case scenario is someone walks in and I have to yell "occupado"! No one walked in, but I noticed too late that there was no toilet paper (just lovely). Still better than ducking into the bushes I suppose..........I'm sure my day is coming in that regard.

Bathroom issues aside, I had a great run this morning. I was greeted at 7:30 in the morning by this view on the trail:



Blue skies and 62 degrees. MUCH BETTER!!!

Run Stats:  4 miles, 51:02, 12'49" / mile average

The last 4 mile run I did was during training last year for the Route 66 Half Marathon. It was November 6th, 2013 and I ran 4 miles in 56:41 and averaged 14'16" per mile. Looks like I've improved and gotten stronger. That's really all you can ask for and I'm a happy girl at the moment!

This upcoming week is slated for 3 miles each on Tuesday and Thursday and 5 miles on Saturday. Although we all know that if I wake up Saturday morning and it's raining, I'm pushing that 5 miles until Sunday.........because I can.

MIND OVER MATTER



 








No comments:

Post a Comment