Sunday, October 5, 2014

I'm still alive and kicking

Damn it has been a rough couple of weeks on the running front.

Life and other responsibilities keep getting in the way of my training. I have completely stopped going to the gym because it's a miracle in and of itself if I can 2 out of my 3 training runs in during the week, much less cross training at the gym twice a week. I'm just going to have to settle for what I have time to do and right now the priority is running.

I got a 5 miler in today with Sandy. I think I'm becoming a tad bit dependent on her to get me through my long runs. It just isn't the same without someone beside you suffering through the same pain as you (although she looks like she's not even trying so I secretly hate her and her perky face) - not really, but damn!

Stats:  5.00 miles / 1:08:30 / 13'42" average pace

I have to keep reminding myself that less than a year ago I was happy with 5 mile runs at 14'28" per mile, so that's improvement. But like any self-serving human being (and I am one of those) I want INSTANT results. I don't want to have to work hard for this, come on!!!

Running truly is a mental game. I either have perfect cardio rythym and my legs are full of lead and achey or my legs feel great and I'm panting like a fat woman walking around Wal-Mart! There is no in between and it SUCKS!!!

I found an image that suits me pretty well right now. Before a run I will psych myself up with thoughts like 'you got this' and 'nothing is in your way but you' and all that other BS we tell ourselves to feel good. But then I hit the trail and it's like WHOA - back up the crazy train!



This is so me! The road is my castle and I am the queen (oh dear Lord I can't breath and my shins are the devil right now). Love this image, but I'm pretty sure my butt is bigger than hers...........

Heading to Denver this week for work so I plan to cross train at the gym tomorrow and get a short run in on Tuesday to loosen up the bod a bit. Wednesday I plan to head back to Red Rocks and hike the trail and run switchbacks at the amphitheater (pray for me). Then on Thursday morning if I feel like it I'll get up early (UGH) and hit the treadmill for a few miles (every little bit counts). This of course will not allow me to get in my two 3.5 mile training runs this week, but I gotta do what I can with my work schedule right now and not beat myself up about it (IT IS WHAT IT IS.............nothing more nothing less)!

Next weekend I will conquer a 7 mile long run because I must be ready for this half marathon. I will not fail (oh wait a second.....dry heaves).

MIND OVER MATTER

No comments:

Post a Comment