Monday, November 11, 2013

"Back" to the grind!

I'm just gonna come right out and say it. I did not run 10 miles this weekend. I'm a little dissapointed in myself, but I think I will be better off in the long run (pun intended) for putting it off.

While packing for Texas on Saturday I tweaked my back again. Don't ask me how beause I couldn't tell you. I was putting clothes in a bag and when I turned around to get more stuff out of the closet, BAM! I'm sure it has something to do with my lack of core strength and all that jazz. I really need to start working on that........

By the time Sunday rolled around my back was still stiff and my heart just wasn't in it. I didn't want to set out to finish 10 miles and have a blow to my confidence with a bad long run this close to the race, so I decided to skip it. Now I'm staring at the calendar flipping smooth out. I was supposed to hit 10 miles yesterday, then 8 miles this weekend, then taper with a couple 3 milers before the race on the 24th. There is no way I will get both the 10 and the 8 mile long runs in, so I think I'll go with the 8. I reached 9 miles two weeks ago and that run was pretty good, although I was exhausted by the time I finished. I have been told, however, that on race day, adrenaline will carry you in the latter part of the mileage. I'm hoping that proves to be true.

The only issue I have now that I've wrapped my head around skipping the 10 mile training run is time (isn't this always a problem?)!!! This week is plum full and the sun goes down 20 minutes after I get home. I have yet to make peace with the treadmill and I am certainly not going to jump on that torture machine and bang out 8 miles. I guess it's time to make peace with running around in circles under the street lights in my neighborhood. It may not be Riverside, but it's far better than the treadmill.

No matter how bad my training has been, I have to run 13.1 miles in 13 days!!! My type A / OCD personality is really not coping well with the training runs that I have missed. When I have a plan, I like to stick to it. But I have come to realize that it's not always possible to do everything you want and need to do each and every week. Sometimes we have to make choices and take a little step back due to injury. Sometimes we simply don't feel like spending 2+ hours pounding the pavement, and that's okay. Save it for another day. I will get two 3-4 mile runs in this week and I will run 8 miles this weekend come hell or high water! It might be dark and cold outside, but I will be running..............

No comments:

Post a Comment