Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Like a Boss (everything is relative)

I ran like a woman possessed tonight! I'm talking 'hair on fire' POSSESSED!!! I run on the sidewalk alongside a 4 lane road just outside my neighborhood, so there's lots of traffic. At one point I swear the driver of a passing truck had this look on his face like "why is that fat girl running so fast? Are there clowns with bloody knives chasing her?" (okay so that's not true, but you get my point). I ran LIKE A BOSS! I taught that sidewalk a thing or two.

Let's get down to the nitty gritty details:

Distance = 2 miles / Avg Pace = 13 min 03 sec per mile

This is where the 'everything is relative' part comes into play for those of you not keeping up.

For some runners, this pace may seem slower than a 1 legged dog on tranquilizers, but for me, this is lightning fast! Especially when you consider the fact that I walked the first quarter of each mile (and I know you will take that into consideration because IT MATTERS)! I felt weightless (clearly not the case) and it was as if my legs were not connected to my body at all. I wasn't thinking, I was just running.

If 'Nike lady' hadn't automatically let me know what my time was after the first mile I wouldn't have worried too much about my time. After all, it's just a 2 mile training run, who cares? Hmmmm, pick me, I care! During my 3/4 mile running segment I decided to take a little peek at my Nike app and see what my instantaneous pace was. This is something I never do, it's too depressing and I usually can't stand it. But this time I'm glad I looked. I was clipping along at 11'32"..........WOOT! Again, everything is relative, so all you fast people out there quit rolling your eyes and shut it! I am fast fat girl, hear me roar (or something like that).

In all seriousness though, I am in so much better shape than I was in this time last year. I can't wait for Saturday (Purple Stride Oklahoma) to see how much I will beat my previous time by. Yes, I like to end sentences in prepositions, deal with it!

I shall leave you with the following non-running related, although hilarious, story:

8 year old son:  "Mom, I'm happy and sad that school starts tomorrow. Should I go to school? Should I not go to school?

Me:  "The state has already made that decision for you, it's against the law for you not to go to school."

8 year old son:  "What about college?"

Me:  "That's different, you need to go to college so you can get a good job after you graduate."

8 year old son:  "But you went to college and you hate your job. You're always telling Dad what a horrible job it is."

Me: CRICKETS (making mental note to refrain from bitching about my job in front of the children). "You're going to college!"


MIND OVER MATTER

No comments:

Post a Comment